Monday, June 1, 2009

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

I just finished this last night. It was really good. It's about a girl from Kentucky who's main goal in life is to get out of Kentucky without getting pregnant. She drives a beat up car west and decides to stop until it breaks down. Along the way she inherits a little girl, she calls Turtle. Turtle has evidence of sexual abuse, she's only 2-3 years old and catatonic. Together they continue on the road, with no real plan. The beat up car breaks down in Tucson near a "Jesus is Lord" tire shop, where she puts down roots and friendships develop. Out of 5 stars I give it 3.5.
Bean Trees

1 comment:

  1. Ok, we totally have to pick a book to read! We keep saying it and never get to it...you pick one and let me know and I'll pick the next one! I hope all the girls are reading...Maddi's been reading up a storm, including reading to Bella!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving comments!